Need Help Navigating the Longshore and Harbor Workers Compensation Act?

By on June 13, 2013

Jones act lawyers

I never knew of the Defense Base Act, the extension of the Longshore and harbor workers compensation act, until it affected my husband and his longshore workers compensation. This was about the time that we started pursuing a defense base act attorney or otherwise known as a Dba attorney.

Our defense base act attorney gave us the facts. Apparently, the Longshore Compensation Act provides over $747 million in monetary, medical and vocational rehabilitation benefits, which my the boss of my husband was cheating him out of.

We knew that there was a three day waiting period, which is the period of time you have to have before compensation is due, under the Longshore and Harbor Workers Compensation Act, but it was taking way too long. We knew something was amiss.

Our defense base act attorney also told us that the current minimum wage replacement rate is actually at around 323.80 dollars.

The defense base act attorney that we met with was great, and we actually recommended him to a family friend who worked with my husband. His brother died on the job in another country and he needed to know some of the facts. The Dba attorney told our friend that injuries resulting in death are another special case under the DBA. See, death benefits actually include reasonable funeral expenses, which are up to 3,000 dollars. Survivors also receive benefits as well, based on the average weekly wages of the worker.

Has anyone else needed help with DBA lawyers or finding a defense base act attorney? Please comment and share your stories and experience.

1. Juan George

February 22, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Not much more than any other attorney. I have had to deal with tons of different legal professionals with work and we talk about salary and compensation often in passing

2. Tommy Ryan