The Role of Human Resources in Employee Retention

By on September 20, 2013

Employee retention program

Every employer wants to keep its most skilled and valued employees. An organization can’t survive without its top performers, but many end up losing some of their best employees through poor employee retention programs. An organization needs employees that are are loyal, hard working, and dedicated to achieving the common goal of the company. Management must work their hardest to keep the company’s most valuable employees, so as to avoid high turnover, which can cost an organization a substantial amount of money. A well-implemented employee retention policy starts with an active human resources department. Figuring out how HR can implement employee retention ideas can be difficult, so here are some things to help your managers figure out what is employee retention in HR.

Deciding what is employee retention in HR can be a bit difficult at first, but the primary goal of human resources in employee retention is to communicate effectively with the employees. Whenever an employee decides to resign, it is crucial that HR find out the reason why they are leaving. Nobody leaves an organization without a reason, and it is HR’s responsibility to find out why.

Once HR has identified why the employee is leaving, they must then discuss the reasons with them face-to-face. It is important to consider what the employee is saying fairly, and to let them share their side of the story as well. This should not be a typical exit interview, but should instead focus on retaining the employee. Try to provide a solution to whatever problems they have discussed. If they are dissatisfied with their team manager, move them to a different team. If they feel underpaid, give them a raise, but only once you have determined that they are truly worth it.

If you end up finding out that the employee was a poor fit for the role, you might want to reconsider your hiring practices. One of the easiest answers to what is employee retention in HR, is that it is hiring the right people. Even if you hire an excellent employee, you must ensure that they are put in the right role. A good employee assigned to a bad role will never find their job interesting. Every individual should be assigned responsibilities that line up with their interests and specialization.

Finally, when attempting to figure out what is employee retention in HR, one must look toward employee motivation and incentives. The HR department should conduct motivational activities at the workplace to encourage employees’ overall development. Organize various trainings that will allow the employees to learn something extra in addition to their routine work. Additionally, HR should work to implement employee incentive schemes that reward the top performers.

1. Derrick Alexander

July 8, 2014 at 8:00 pm

I think I hate my job because my company is lacking many of these things. Nobody seems to care about the work we do. If we do well, then we don’t get in trouble, and that’s our reward.

2. Clair Mitchell