Three Ways to Make Moving Easier

By on August 28, 2013

Full service moving

Did you know that if you move more than 50 miles away because of a job, you may be able to deduct the moving expenses from your taxes? While this is a convenient luxury for some, it is not applicable to each and every one of the 40 million Americans who move every year. Whether you are making a military move, moving for a job, or simply moving to a new neighborhood, there are several options available to help you move.

1. Do it yourself. Doing everything yourself, including wrapping, packing, loading, and transporting, is the most cost effective way to move. While this does create more work for you, the only money you will realistically have to spend is on gas, unless you choose to spend money on boxes and wrapping materials as well. Just be sure you can transport everything in your car in one trip, as making multiple trips over long distances can be difficult and time consuming.

2. Rent moving pods. Pods moving also fits the DIY category in many ways, as you are responsible for all your packing and loading. The transportation of pods storage, however, is taken care of by the company you rented the pods storage container from. These containers can be rented in different sizes as well, so all of your materials can be loaded and transported in one trip.

3. Hire a moving company. Moving companies take all the work off your hands, as they handle all the packing, loading, and transporting of your items. They are also required by law to offer you liability coverage as well. The only drawback, however, is the cost. One way you can save money on moving companies is by being flexible with your schedule, since companies may charge more if you request an inconvenient date from them. Even moving on a weekday can save money, as weekend moving generally costs more since those days are in high demand.

Although college graduates are more likely to move than high school graduates, and the annual migration rate is down eight percent since the 1960s, most people will end up moving at some point in their lives. When this time comes, it is important to be prepared by choosing the option of moving that is most beneficial to you. Whether you choose to move yourself, rent pods storage, or hire a moving company, planning ahead can make all the difference.

1. Faith Gibson

March 10, 2014 at 3:26 pm

I have been living with my parents for the last 25 years, so I have never had to move before. I am getting married next year though, so Ill be moving very soon. And when I do, Ill make sure to consult your list for advice.

2. Karl Washington