Worried about Getting Weighed Down by Attorney Fees? Three Tips

By on August 30, 2013

Litigation advice

Did you know that over 15 million lawsuits are filed in America every year? Whether you like it or not, you might find yourself caught up in a court of law sooner or later. Disputes about labor, divorce, immigration and child custody are very common. Unfortunately, a lawyer is only guaranteed to everyone by the U.S. judicial system for criminal cases, not civil ones. If you are trying to save as much money as possible, one thing that might help you out is free litigation advice. Here are three things you should know about it.

1. Online Help

One of the most common places to get free legal advice is the internet. Lawhelp.org, for example, helps people with low and moderate incomes by answering their questions about legal rights and forms, and sets them up with free legal aid programs in their local areas. Many sites, in fact, exist to help people with this issue. They can be a great resource in familiarizing yourself with the facts of your particular case type, as well as understanding legal precedents that have come before it.

2. In Person Help

Your other option for no cost litigation advice is meeting in person with an attorney. You might have even heard ads for free advice on the radio, but assumed there must be a catch. In most cases, there really is no catch. How do they benefit? Eventually, you might need a lawyer. If they offer you sound and informative legal advice, you might choose them to be your lawyer. By giving an hour or two of their time they can potentially land a position that pays out over a long period of time.

3. Options for Free Lawyers

In your local community there are probably several options for low or no cost legal solutions depending on the circumstances of your legal issue. For many services that provide a free or greatly reduced hourly rate lawyer, you need to show that your income does not exceed 135% of the federal poverty line. Community organizations, immigrants, veterans, students and victims of domestic violence also can often receive an actual lawyer for free. To find out if you qualify, probonolawyers.org might be a good place to start.

Have you received litigation advice for free? Let us know about your experience in the comments.

1. Morgan Ross

March 11, 2014 at 3:56 pm

yes! it definitely helped me out because there were a lot of basics about the case and handling the case that i really didnt understand and they talked me through it and talked about likely outcomes before i had to actually have a lawyer

2. Molly James