Create Lasting Customizable Labels and Fabrics

By on July 15, 2013

Printed vinyl fabric

Everyone knows about vinyl records. Phonograph records were made using vinyl during World War II and, by 1950, vinyl had been completely replaced in favor of other materials. What many do not realize is that vinyl has many other uses. Modern uses.

So what are the most common uses of vinyl today?

Printable Vinyl
The most common use today is printable vinyl. Printable vinyl is exactly what it sounds like. Businesses and individuals now have the opportunity to produce unique, printed vinyl labels.

The next question, and a reasonable one at that, is why would you want to print on vinyl? Vinyl label printing is becoming increasingly popular because it is a waterproof material. Businesses can rely on printable adhesive vinyl as a durable, lasting way to label office supplies or stock. As a waterproof proof material, it is often used outside. Many companies depend on vinyl banner material and vinyl sign material to advertise or post information outdoors without worrying about damage from the elements.

Printable Vinyl Fabric
Printing on vinyl is not exclusive to paper labels or signs. You also have the option to print vinyl on fabric. Printable vinyl fabric makes it simple to customize clothes, bags, and more. Printing custom designs on fabric leaves room for all sorts of gift ideas. Individuals may even print names, locations, or designs on bags, cloth napkins, and other materials as an inexpensive wedding favor. And, once again, fabric projects will stand up to time thanks the vinyl’s waterproof, durable nature.

Plastic Vinyl
In 1913, Friedrich Klatte used sunlight in a new, innovative way, specifically for the polymerization of vinyl chloride. Klatte patented his method the same year, and it has been around ever since.

Researcher Waldo Lonsbury Semon from the B.F. Goodrich Company invented plasticized polyvinyl chloride not long after in 1926. And now you can find plasticized vinyl everywhere.

Plasticized vinyl is used for inflatables, awnings, tarps, and windscreens. But one of the most common, everyday uses is for children’s toys. Vinyl is easy to clean and withstands a lot, which makes it a safe, practical material for figurines and bath toys.

The vinyl phonograph record is gone. But vinyl is everywhere and new, printable vinyl opens up opportunities for practical use as well as fun, do it yourself projects.

1. Roland Murphy

September 30, 2013 at 8:08 am

great idea. im always making things…. my own bags, decorations, you name it! id be interested to see if its accessible to the average person… ill let everyone know!

2. Lily Alvarez

March 2, 2014 at 8:03 pm

I work as a freelance graphic designer. i created my own business to sell professional looking banners, signs, and posters. vinyl is awesome. i create all of my signs from it. it lasts, looks great, and keeps my customers happy! the high gloss kind really makes things stand out

3. Violet Walker