Teach Your Kids Real Life Lessons and Have a Vacation Experience You Will Never Forget

By on August 8, 2013

Camping in michigan

Have you ever thought about how taking a break from TV and video games and getting back to nature by camping in Michigan can be a really incredible and rewarding experience for families?

I never thought about it until my husband introduced me to the idea. He used to go camping with his family all the time, and had never taken us. As for me, I did not even know to find a park to camp in, let alone cook or pitch a tent. My children were apprehensive about it as well (I.E. did not want to go and made a huge fuss), but I could tell that this was important to him, so we compromised. We decided to go RV camping in Michigan, because it allowed us to get back to nature, but not to get in over heads in it.

When we got there, I had no idea that camping in Michigan, let alone camping in general, was still so popular. Did you know that approximately 43 million Americans went camping last year alone?

The more we progressed into our outdoor adventures, like hiking, and swimming in lakes, and having bonfires, the more it taught my kids to learn respect for nature. They started to appreciate all the green beauty that our parks, our country, and our Earth has to show us. They seemed totally apathetic to it at first, but by the end they understood the importance of a carry in, carry out policy so that we left no trash or litter behind us.

Since that time we have gone camping in Michigan at least once every season. Yes, even winter. I would definitely recommend the experience for your family, as well. Especially for families with some smaller kids, so that they can learn to unplug and venture out into the world. It will give them more self confidence for when they have to tackle real world social situations. Although, many of them can be pretty fussy, so I would recommend that you have them pack their own bags (with some of your help) so that they can take their favorite books, toys and stuffed animals.

Camping in Michigan was a real eye opening experience for me and my kids, and my husband has never let us live it down. I would definitely recommend finding Rv parks for your first time, and just going right at it!

If you have any experience camping in Michigan, please share your story in the comments! I would love to hear what other people have to say about camping in michigan rather than your typical vacation rentals, and see if you all love it as much as me and mine! More info like this: www.campjellystone.com

1. Clare Burgess

November 6, 2013 at 10:58 pm

I personally like to go cabin camping, because I like to be able to retreat into the cabin and get away from being right outside, you know?

2. Louis Gardner

March 6, 2014 at 2:10 pm

I think RV camping is a total cheat from the experience. You are supposed to be roughing it, you know? Instead you sit in AC and get to watch TV when you want? Seems self defeating for me.

3. Barry Lyons